What reading materials should groups use?
Here are some easily-available, easy-to-read, and well-tested options for Catholic small groups. All of them have been used in some fashion and with success by prior small groups at St. Raphael's or nearby parishes.
- Why Catholic? Journey Through the Catechism. By RENEW International. A revised version was introduced in 2009 to provide a richer experience of the key tenets of the Catholic faith as expressed in the Apostles’ Creed. Readers appreciate the benefits from the fuller use of Scripture and the Catechism in their sharing.
- Rediscover Catholicism. Matthew Kelly’s book takes Catholics on a life-changing journey to rediscover the genius of the Catholic faith.
- Little Rock Scripture Studies. A variety of Bible study materials for adult Catholics in small faith communities who want to continue on their journey of faith.
- "The Little Rock Scripture Study is a graced response to the intimidation that many Catholics feel due to their lack of knowledge of the Bible. With its breadth of accessible studies, it gives the average person in the pew the skills to search the Scriptures in the company of others, building faith, knowledge and community altogether. From my years of experience, this series has introduced more English and Spanish speaking Catholics in the United States to the Bible than any other." Fr. Pat Mullen, St. John Seminary, Camarillo, California
- For more, go here: http://www.littlerockscripture.org/en/Default.aspx
- Six Weeks with the Bible: From Loyola Press, this Bible study is ideal for small groups, helping Catholics grow more confident in their understanding of Scripture and more comfortable in sharing their faith with others.
- Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of Faith, by Father Robert Barron.
- When defining Catholicism, many first turn to its unique practices and characters--the Mass, the sacraments, Mary, priests, and the Pope. Others point to its intellectual traits--its distinctive apologetics, theology, and philosophy. In Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith, Fr. Barron explores these typical characteristics but doesn't stop there. He looks through many more lenses to reveal the core of Catholicism.
- “Catholicism”. 10-part DVD series.
- "Catholicism" is the long-awaited evangelical work of Fr. Robert Barron, professor of systematic theology at St. Mary of the Lake Seminary in Mundelein, Illinois. In addition to rock solid scholarship and theology, the DVD series is filled with beautiful cinematography, which is used to illustrate the theological points in the series.
- One Bread, One Body
- The Word Among Us
- Mini-books by Mark Link,S.J. “Praying Scripture in a Contemporary Way “
- Mission 2000
- Vision 2000
- Action 2000
- Bible 2000
- Psalms: A School of Prayer
- Materials from RENEW International.
- Any books by C.S. Lewis
- Scott Hahn materials/apologetics
- Lighthouse Catholic Media. Go to: http://www.lighthousecatholicmedia.org/
- 23rd Psalm Publications
- Tan Books
- Retreat in the Real World by Alexander McCann Waldron Gillick
A great place to find many of these materials is our own St. Raphael's Gift Shop! Just call them at
If you still have questions, check with one of our priests or deacons, or with the folks in the St. Raphael's office. Many of them are familiar with these materials. Or call Jim Hauskey at
(or e-mail him at